Posted on 02/16/16, 12:15 AM

222 Cheap Yagi (March Meeting)
Posted by Jarred - KF2MR

OK, here are the materials I have available for the 6 element 222 Cheap Yagi design (WA5VJB) that is on the agenda to be built during the March meeting. What tools or additional materials will we need to build them?

(2) 3/4"x1.5"x50" pine booms (will be sealed in advance) - this is larger than the design calls for, will it be a weight issue?
(10) 6061-T6 Aluminum Round Rod 3/16" x 48"
(6) Silicon Bronze 1/8" X 36" Welding Rod
(1) 50' RG-8X coaxial cable with PL-259s (to be cut in half?)
(2) 2" mounting brackets. Should these be end mounted like the design shows or can we try to center mount?

Still need some kind of copper tubing/material to splice the bronze rod into the full size needed for the driven element. Need slightly more than 36" for the 222 design.

Any other ideas/input?
Volunteers to bring tools/other materials?

Posted on 02/16/16, 10:21 AM

Re: 222 Cheap Yagi (March Meeting)
Posted by David- AB2YI

Where are you getting the end mounting for the 222 Cheap Yagi? I think center mount is better,
Full length 3/4 by 1.5" is unnecessary. If using a thick mounting bracket--u-bolt--at least taper boom to ends (jigsaw). 3/4" square is plenty for single element holes, a bit tight for driven element ends. Pine is not very heavy but boom size increases wind load. Using a 3 foot teflon coax jumper cut in half provides
an easy connection to feedline of choice. Small drillpress helps make straight element holes.

Posted on 02/16/16, 2:01 PM

Posted by Jarred - KF2MR

David, the photos at the end of the WA5VJB article show the 3 element 222 yagi and all higher frequencies end mounted, but the 144 center mounted. So perhaps this is just an example and not part of the design. Thanks for the tapering suggestion. I will do my best to do that in advance to avoid the mess at the church.

Posted on 02/16/16, 2:23 PM

Posted by Bill Burgess - VE3CRU

Jarred I made the DE from 3/16" bronze in one continuous length. Boom is 3/4" by 1". Weight will not be a problem with what you have, just be no sag in the boom. Yet to assemble and test it. Yes the use of a drill press is best.

Posted on 02/16/16, 5:56 PM

To splice the DE, try this: Take a short piece of UT-141 ,Maybe an inch, remove the centre dielectric and conductor. Carefully pass a .125" drill through the centre. You will be left with a wall thickness of .008" but with the short extension needed it should work fine, just a tiny bump on the conductor.

Posted on 02/18/16, 8:30 AM

Posted by David- AB2YI

I have a Sears adapter (excuse for a drillpress) that helps somewhat--I will bring along.

Posted on 02/18/16, 1:40 PM

ATTENTION: Your DE issues are now resolved. I have just shipped 6 DE's in .125" brass as bronze not available, to Jarred KF2MR by expedited mail. My contribution. Arrival estimated as next Wednesday.

The elements are cut to length with the 1" diameter bend. Some have a coarse bend and need a squeeze in a vise A fine hacksaw blace needed to trim some to precise length. Look for a 24" mailing tube Jarred.

Posted on 02/18/16, 4:31 PM

Posted by Jarred - KF2MR

What a surprise. Thanks so much Bill!

Post a reply to this discussion:

Are you human? 3 + 6 =